Summer Camp 2017
The Alsip Park District is looking forward to another season of fun in the sun through our Summer Camps in kiddie kamp 20112016! While we strive to provide a fun and safe experience for your children, the design of our Summer Camp program has changed slightly. Summer Camps are split into six age divisions which are detailed below. The Alsip Park District works to continuously offer age-appropriate activities and field trips for all campers to enjoy. We look forward to seeing many new and returning smiling faces next summer!
Note: If you have any questions or special requests, please contact the Apollo Recreation Center staff at (708) 389-1003 prior to registration.
Summer Camp Groups
According to the grade your child is entering in the Fall of 2016
- BB8’s: Campers 3 & 4 year olds
- Ewoks: Campers entering Kindergarten
- Jawas: Campers entering 1st & 2nd grade
- Droids: Campers entering 3rd & 4th grade
- Wookies: Campers entering 5th & 6th grade
- Jedi Camp: Campers entering 7th, 8th & 9th grade
Summer Camp General Info
Enroll your kids for another summer of safe and exciting fun meeting new friends and participating in new activities. Our goal is to provide campers with the opportunity to try new games and crafts while utilizing their creativity and developing their problem solving skills. We encourage participants to gain new knowledge through various field trips and guest speakers that visit throughout the summer months. Not only will sport activities and arts n’ crafts be provided at the Apollo Recreation Center and Apollo Park, but all campers will have the opportunity to swim twice every week at the Alsip Park District Aquatic Park.
Your child will be placed in a group with two or more summer staff members who will supervise and interact with their group daily. These camp counselors are directly involved with week-to-week lesson planning and will lead activities for their group. Your child’s counselor will be available daily at regular drop-off and pick-up times to communicate with parents who may have questions or concerns. Though our summer staff members are well prepared with the skills necessary to facilitate a successful camp, we ask that parents communicate with their children the same behavioral expectations as if they were in school. The Alsip Park District would like to provide a great experience for everyone involved which is only possible with cooperation and communication!
Summer Camp Registration
All Summer Camp registration will take place in-person only at the Apollo Recreation Center. Please bring the necessary information to complete a camper emergency form, medical release form, and permission form. Your child will not be registered if you are missing required information such as doctor’s name and phone number, emergency contact information, and updated medical information. Please plan on 15 minutes to complete the necessary paperwork. Upon registration completion and payment, you will receive one t-shirt for each four week session your child is enrolled in which should be worn on field trip days.
A 50% deposit is due at the time of registration. If your family utilizes DHS child care services, a letter of approval must be presented to the main office two weeks prior to the start of camp in order for your child to be eligible for camp. Payment plans may be made with the main office at the time of registration. Households with balances due from previous camp registrations must be paid in full for a new camp register to be made. All payments made after May 29th for the camp programs must be paid in cash or credit card. The balance must be paid in full by Friday, June 3.
- Registration for Residents and Returning campers begins on Monday, February 29
- New Camper registration for residents begins March 7.
- Registration for new Nonresident campers begins on Monday, March 14.
Summer Camp Orientation
It is highly recommended that all parents attend camp orientation to meet the camp staff, have your questions answered, and receive a camp calendar. We will review important camp policies and procedures to eliminate confusion throughout the summer. Please bring any questions you may have at this time. We will also discuss drop-off, pick-up, pool days, and field trip days. Please read your Parent Summer Camp Manual prior to attending to the orientation.
Day/Date: Wednesday, June 7
Location: Main Gymnasium
Time: 7:00 pm
The Alsip Park District is proud to announce that we have received our re-accreditation from the American Camping Association (ACA). What does this mean to our campers, their parents, and our dedicated staff?
ACA-accredited camps provide:
- Healthy, developmentally-appropriate activities and learning experiences
- Discovery through experiential education
- Caring, competent role models
- Service to the community and the environment
- Opportunities for leadership and personal growth
ACA standards (more than 300 of them!) are recognized by courts of law and government regulators as the standards of the camp community. These standards exceed state licensing requirements going beyond basic requirements for health, cleanliness, and food service. Specific areas of examination include programming, camp staff (from director through counselors), emergency management plans, health care, and management
A Few Quick Notes…
- Summer Camp will be held regardless of inclement weather. If it starts to rain, camp will be moved inside the Apollo Recreation Center.
- Field trips are included in the registration fee for Buddies, Juniors, and Seniors. If you choose not to send your child on a field trip, there will be no regular camp. You will be charged $10 for a t-shirt if your child does not have one on the day of a field trip. Field trip transportation can be via school bus or recreational van.
day camp hero day 23.
- Campers must be picked up promptly after camp or a late fee will be charged. Any camper not picked up after 30 minutes will be brought to the Alsip Police Department. Campers should be dropped off no earlier than five minutes before camp begins.
- Buddies, Juniors, and Seniors will swim twice each week. Each camper will be swim tested the first pool day to determine the depth in which they may swim. Kiddies will only swim in the tot pool while Buddies have the option of the tot pool or regular pool depending on their swim test results.
- There will be no camp held on Monday, July 4, due to the holiday. There will be no post camp on Friday, August 5, due to the end of camp.
- A $50 administrative fee will be charged for camp refunds. Refunds are only available one week prior to the start of a camp session.